Sunday, April 8, 2012

Acupressure for Colic



I think nearly every horse owner knows that colic is nothing to fool around with.  I've had my share of colic experiences for sure.  My horse, Bob, had impaction colic surgery 3 1/2 years ago and we lost another horse last summer to complications from colic (twisted gut, I believe).

If you're an experienced horse owner, you've probably learned to recognize the signs of colic, whether it be your horse laying down in an unusual spot, showing little interest in eating, or just that 'look' in his eye that isn't quite right.  Once you know your horse is colicking, all the possible outcomes start running through your mind (at least that's what happens to me). 

Colic is definitely something to take seriously and many times, you will want to call your vet.  You may have your 'colic toolbox' at home, too, and many people will start treatment there.  I think most people are aware of the usual colic remedies like hand-walking your horse and giving banamine, but another effective tool is acupressure.  And yes, even you can learn to do it!  I'm not saying acupressure should EVER replace responsible veterinary care--it shouldn't!  You may want to try it though if the colic appears mild or while you're waiting for the vet to get there. 

My horse, Bob (the one who had colic surgery), was showing signs of colic last night and again this morning.  I immediately started applying pressure to the 'colic' acu-points.  Both times, the pain seemed to resolve quickly.  I've used these points before on him and other horses with success as well.  Now don't get me wrong--I checked on him frequently all last night and all day today.  I was prepared to head to the vet if he showed any more signs.  After his acupressure sessions though, he began grazing and acting normally.  I will continue to check on him frequently to make sure we don't have any more problems tonight or in the next few days.

To read about and see a chart of some commonly used 'colic' acu-points, see my article "Acupressure Points for Equine Colic".  You can also purchase the book, Equine Acupressure: A Working Manual, to learn more about acupressure and how you can use it to help relieve common equine conditions.  This book is what led me to attend an equine acupressure program and become certified--it's fascinating!

Once again, I am NOT advising anyone to try to treat serious cases of colic yourself.  Call your vet if your horse is in serious pain or if symptoms persist.

Ta-ta!

1 comment: